Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mission Trip-Vancouver


So much has happened since I last wrote and because I have neglected to write, I find it difficult to recall what has happened over these recent weeks. I will do my best to recollect all that has happened.
After arriving back from reading break, I had an ongoing addiction to cake. Everywhere I went, I wanted cake. The night before the gospel course began, many of the Kaleo's and I went over to the guest house having the motivation of cake eating. There we met Justin L one of the old Kaleo's and chatted with him while we were feeding our addiction. The next day, we began taking our next course which was Gospels. It was so cool to hear and interpret the gospels but it was so difficult to focus in class because of the long hours.
After this course, we had our mission trips. The Argentina team left first followed by the India team leaving us, the Vancouver team (Meghan, Heidi, Lynnea, Jocelyn, Tyler and Nate), to stay behind and have team building before we left for our trip. This consisted of us lounging around, finishing up any assignments and spending time together. We left for our trip Saturday (I think) and began working once we had arrived in Vancouver. The team and I helped out with Inner Hope, which is like foster care, but in a Christian environment and the kids grow up and live there until they move out. We split up, some of us babysitting and some of us cooking and decorating for a life skills program put on by Inner Hope. I assisted in babysitting some of the cutest kids ever. The next day consisted of us going to church at the wrong time, and then attending a church service at the church we were staying in. Monday, we painted at the house and helped out at Union Gospel Mission (UGM).We held a chapel service for the homeless there playing worship music and having a woman who grew up on the streets tell her testimony. I was so nervous to sing in chapel, but the crowd was very good. It was so sad to see the lifelessness in their eyes and I just prayed for each one while I was singing to find life again. After we were done the service, we offered to pray for people in the crowd and one man came forward. It was so cool to see that we impacted at least one person. After prayer for this man, we said hello and talked to the homeless as they walked out.
The rest of the week is kind of blurry, but certain instances that stuck out for me were working at the UGM thrift store, the New Beginnings Youth Group and walking down East Hastings. At the UGM thrift store, we split up again and I worked in the basement sorting and hanging clothing with Tyler. A man that was in charge of the thrift store began talking to us and told us that 60% of everything they receive from people gets thrown out because he believes that less fortunate people deserve better than something old rags. It was incredible to learn that that much is thrown out but was so amazing to hear that this man believed these people have worth and deserve more. New Beginnings church is full of brokenness and my heart cries for these people who have lost so much and have been through hell basically and have the passion and perseverance to go on and find new life in Christ. Walking up and down East Hastings was mind blowing. There were crowds and crowds of homeless people. Their eyes empty and I could sense the brokenness among them. These people could see the light in us and wanted some of it. We also got tours of homeless shelters and churches who fill their whole sanctuary with beds to house these people. I wish we could have done more street ministry with these people.

At first I wasn't looking forward to the trip because I didnt know what to expect. After the Vancouver portion, I was so amazed at what God does through people and was inspired to continue being a light to the world, especially if they were looked down upon by others. I want to and intend to continue ministering to the homeless. I applied to volunteer at the Mustard Seed in Calgary, but they had too many Volunteers so I have to check back in with them when I go home. Being on this trip was spiritually draining and I learned to rely on God in every circumstance and to be in constant prayer. I cannot express this trip well enough and this post does not do it justice.

I will post the second half of my trip shortly. I just need Coffee.

Jojo

No comments:

Post a Comment