
Before I go on explaining about the second half of my mission trip, I forgot to mention in my last post that we were mainly working with First Nations people. The First Nations community is full of brokenness and pain because these people were stolen from their families and forced into residential schools. Being abused by these so called "God Loving" people, made the First Nations people hurt and defensive against any white person. I thought going on this trip would be very difficult to connect with these people. They were at first tough on the outside, but once they saw the light we had and love we had for them, they opened themselves up to us.
Now onto the second half of the trip...
After we spent a week in Vancouver, the team and I had about 18 hours until we headed out to Copper Island. Copper Island is not the actual name of the Island but I forget the actual name and will continue to call it Copper Island. Anyways, we drove all the way to the Banfeild road (dont know about spelling) which is a logging road. The big white van we traveled in began to fall apart on every bump and we got lost, showing up an hour late to the boats. We were greeted by Aaron and Bob, two men we would be working with for the week. We then took a 15 minuet boat ride over to Copper Island. We arrived and got a tour of the camp, meeting two young men named Nolan and Jezerin (sorray about spelling) and then a few of us held a "mini chapel" on the beach because it was Sunday. The next day we woke up for breakfast and began cutting and stacking logs which would be our main job for the remainder of the week. In the evenings we would learn about the history of First Nations people. The first night the two boys shared about how residential schools mistreated family members, friends, the community and the effects it had on them. It broke my heart to hear a testimony of a woman who was once in such an evil place and I had a new found respect for these broken people.
Our daily routine of cutting logs, stacking wood, raking and occasionally petting the coolest cat ever named Felix. It was hard work which was physically demanding, but a great break from the spiritual and mentally demanding week we previously had. In the middle of the week, one of the workers named Russell, said that we deserved a day off, so the directer of the camp offered it up as a learning day. We lounged around all day enjoying fabulous food by a missionary named Ann, and then we got to go crab and prawn fishing. We caught a lot of Crab. When we pulled up the prawn traps, Aaron took the prawn right from the bucket, ripped its head off, then offered it to us to eat. So naturally, I took it and ate it. It was so fresh and good. I proceeded to rip off another ones head, of course doing it wrong having the guts go everywhere, but at least I tried. Tyler also dared me to eat one of the prawns ugly eyes. I introduced a wager being that if I ate one of the eyes, he would have to eat the other. Agreeing, we both ate the eyes. I can say that I dont think I will eat another one again. It tasted like salt and ink. It was just nasty.
For the rest of the week, we continued on with our work, doing more than they ever expected us to. It was amazing being far away from all public on that secluded island. The camp is run by heat from the wood we cut. All the hot water and heat comes from the firewood.
Though it seemed at times like it was pointless to do this, it helped keep the camp running and even the small things are significant in life. I was reminded of the love and beauty God has. I also grew closer to everyone on the team and enjoyed all their company. I was inspired to do missions because Ray and Ann had been missionaries most of their lives. It was awesome to see the commitment they had to Christ and I aspire to continue the passion and fire I have for God. I hope to continue being a light to people.
Praise Him
Jojo
No comments:
Post a Comment