
This morning (Tuesday) I had breakfast with founders of Watoto as well as children from Gulu Uganda that had been affected by the war. These children had been abducted, beat up, forced to murder innocent people, and robbed of their childhood. All these things were caused by Joseph Kony, the leader of the LRA (Lord’s Resistance army). Their lives were drastically changed for the worst, until an organization called Watoto. Watoto took all of these troubled kids in and gave and taught them new hope and forgiveness. It was crazy to meet these kids this morning and later that night hear some of the stories they told. At breakfast Marilyn Skinner, (one of the founders of Watoto) spoke of how we could bring anyone to the event that evening. At that point I felt very convicted to go talk to the other students in town and get them to attend that evening. I felt it could impact them greatly and they would benefit from hearing all these stories. I was so nervous asking them because I didn’t think they would be interested, but they all came which was so cool to see. This day was such an impact and a great reminder that forgiveness is the antidote to bitterness.
3 or 4 years ago when I was in Kampala Uganda, Gary and Marilyn skinner spoke at a Sunday service about helping child soldiers in Gulu. It has been amazing being able to witness the progress and success that has come for all these people. I am proud to be the tiniest part in changing lives in Kampala, and my hope for Uganda is that they would be a successful, prosperous country, and to stay strong in their faith.
No comments:
Post a Comment